Thursday, May 14, 2009

Road Trippin made easy



Road trips are what I think of as the quintessential, American family getaway. I have fond memories of my dad shoving us in the car at 4am and driving up and down the Florida coast. You see the beauty of the state and country better from the car. And despite the bickering that can sometimes ensue, families bond on the road.

Plus in this recession, and with gas prices staying relatively low, a road trip can be a low-cost alternative to your Mediterranean summer vacay.

And I found something that can make planning so much easier. While visiting one of my favorite travel web sites TripBase.com, I came across a really great feature. You can see it here.

It basically lets you enter what you're looking for in your road trip: how many miles you want to travel, what type of nightlife you're looking for, etc. Then it will spit out cities and towns that fit your criteria, along with gas costs, hotel estimates and even weather predictions.

It does, however, have limits. I entered info leaving from Chicago, and it spit out St. Charles. No offense to St. Charles, but I know there are many other towns to visit within 200 miles.

But this feature is a great starting point in planning your next family-bonding moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment