Friday, September 11, 2009

I heart college football


For me, the passing of summer is easier to bare because of college football. I look forward to waking up on Saturday mornings to ESPN’s College Gameday, and I love venturing to a nearby bar, inhaling the crisp fall air, then watching my precious Gators.

Sadly, I rarely enjoy a game in person. But this article lists great road trips you can take in different regions to watch the best battles lined up this season. It’s a fun read. For my SEC, it recommends the UT vs Auburn game in Knoxville, then road-tripping down to Baton Rouge for when Florida kills LSU on Tiger turf.

Unrealistic for me since I don’t live in the South, and don’t have enough time, but I don’t have to travel far from Chicago to enjoy college football. I try to go as often as I can to the nearest REAL college football game: Notre Dame. Notice how I didn’t say Northwestern. I went to a couple of these games and lame is just too kind a word.

Notre Dame is what college football is all about: tradition. And you can look Jesus straight in the eye and pray Charlie Weis directs his team to a victory. It’s also beautiful to travel down in the fall when all you need is a thick sweatshirt to watch the game comfortably against the fall foliage setting. I have to admit, it’s better than sweating in the Swamp.

Though I would sweat a thousand buckets if it met traveling down to Florida for one Gator game this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment