Friday, August 28, 2009

'Counting on the Americans'


I have a short list of places I long to travel, and Paris is No. 2. The wine, the art, the music, it all seems so idyllic to me. Also I would love to encounter the stereotypical French rudeness American travelers have always talked about. Is it a myth? Maybe, maybe not.

But one thing is for sure, Parisians might be welcoming the loud, fat, crass American tourist with open arms these days (that’s how I imagine the French view Americans, not the way I do). According to this article, foreign travel has dropped more than 11 percent this year. And the article says the director of the Paris Tourism Office says the city is "counting on the Americans," its largest segment of travelers, to keep tourism revenues up and compensate for a plunge in visits by British, Japanese and Chinese tourists. The director feels the American economy is likely to rebound faster than these other countries.

I find it funny that IF in fact Parisians do not like Americans, they still want our money. They’re willing to deal with our tackiness if it means keeping their hotels and restaurants going.

I’m sure I’m not being fair. But whatever, there are great deals to be had in Paris right now. Flights this fall are about $590 on Kayak.com. Hotels are starting at around $120 in the heart of the city. Hmmmm…..Autumn in Paris? Sounds amazing. And maybe the cooler air will chill the feisty French.

And if you do go, it might calm the French tempers if you attempt a little French. But don't repeat the French the Flight of the Conchords sing. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment