Friday, July 10, 2009

The ultimate adventure: sailing around the world



I saw this report recently and it truly amazed me. A teenager sailing around the world by himself? Unbelievable. He’s battled squalls, pirates and perhaps worst of all, loneliness. I think the only adventurous thing I did in high school was drink Zima.

But it got me thinking, how amazing would that be to sail the seas of the earth. In one seamless timeline you see exotic cultures, architectural wonders and breathtaking landscapes. I would imagine it being a life-changing experience.

But if you’re like me and would rather watch the world sail by in the luxury of a stateroom there are cruise lines out there that offer world voyages.

This one from Holland America is 111 days long and takes you everywhere from Mumbai to Cape Town, and of course the always exotic Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

But if you can spare 111 days, why not 365. This one from Cruise West is the length of a full year and you visit all the ports in the Holland America cruise plus many more. Some of the wonders include Easter Island, which is on my short list of places to see before I end up in a nursing home.


But to be away from the real world for a year will cost you nearly $234,000. Hmmm….maybe I’ll just hop on Zac’s boat next time he sails the world.

1 comment:

  1. I too heart Easter Island... I kinda just want to climb atop one of the statues and park myself there for a few hours, making the same stern face and staring at the ocean...

    ReplyDelete