Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Falling in love with fall



Halloween is just days away, and this is by far, one of my favorite times of year to live in Chicago. I just love wearing my cozy scarf as I walk outside and admire the pumpkins and other decorations. But what I admire most are the fall colors.

Unfortunately after Halloween, things turn dreary in Chicago. The temperature falls along with all those beautiful leaves. But other parts of the country are just getting started with their autumn show.

I think Tennessee would make a fun fall destination in early November. The charming town of Gatlinburg is nestled in the Smoky Mountains, which is a beautiful fall color palette. Then you can take a drive to Nashville, stop on the way for barbecue, and take in the scenery.

If the South isn't your thing, almost every other region of the country has beautiful fall colors to see. From Yosemite Park in California, to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The US Forest Reserve has on its web site recommended spots it deems the most beautiful and at what time of year.

And here's a fall foliage map so you can see how other parts of the country look right now.

For some reason, the fall season makes me very pensive. And I can't think of a better way to contemplate those thoughts than on a drive, bike ride or hike through beautiful fall leaves.

But come November, I'm miserable. Thank goodness for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment